The Top Ten Reasons Why Homeschool Moms Make Enthusiastic Jeopardy! Contestants:
10. We’re used to single-issue questions. Once you’ve answered “But what about socialization?” a gazillion times, “What’s Alex Trebek really like?” is a piece of cake!
9. Forget Brahm’s lullabye, we rock our babies to “The Song of the US Presidents”.
8. Because our favorite answer to any question (besides “Because I’m the mom that’s why) is “Let’s look it up!”
7. Once you’ve herded 80+ people through a tour of the BlueBell Ice Cream factory, you understand the need for following directions. Answer in the form of a question? No problem!
6. Announcing a desire to appear on Jeopardy! is a lot like telling folks you want to homeschool. They immediately respond with “Oh I could NEVER do that!”
5. Homeschoolers have competed in the National Spelling Bee and the Geography Bee. Why should the kids have all the fun?
4. Random categories of questions don’t scare us. Not when we’re used to diagramming a sentence, analyzing Shakespeare, and sounding out c-a-t in the space of 5 minutes.
3. We’re curriculum junkies. If there is a game or book or puzzle to make learning fun, we probably own it and have used it to study with.
2. After deciphering standardized test scores, wagering strategy doesn’t seem quite so intimidating.
1. We’re motivated. “If I win, I can buy more books!”